“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.”- Leslie Knope
On what day is National Waffle Day celebrated? August 24
What is National Waffle Day? Waffles are made from a leavened batter or dough that is cooked between two plates that are patterned to give a characteristic size, shape and surface impression. Waffles come in a wide variety of colors, flavors and shapes, depending on the batter and waffle iron used.
Here are some fun facts about waffles:
- Waffles have been around for a long time. The earliest known recording of a waffle recipe is in an anonymous manuscript called Le Ménagier de Paris, which was a set of instructions written by a Frenchman for his young wife. In it, the writer describes his own waffle recipe and even mentions an “iron”, leading historians to believe waffle irons were invented in the 13th-14th century.
- Waffles inspired the soles of Nike’s first pair of shoes. Bill Bowerman was watching his wife use their waffle iron one morning in 1971 when he was suddenly struck by the honeycomb shape of the waffle. He knew it would make a perfect sneaker sole.
- Waffle House sells 145 waffles every minute.
- There are three main types of breakfast waffles:
- Belgian: Also known as a Brussels waffle, it’s light and crispy but with deep ridges and leavened with yeast.
- American: A waffle that’s been leavened with baking powder instead of yeast.
- Liege: Also invented in Belgium, the Liege is made with a yeast-based dough and is softer, denser and, due to a caramelized sugar coating, sweeter.
Who founded this day? The creator of National Waffle Day is unknown. The first United States patent for a waffle iron was issued to Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, New York, on August 24, 1869. So, National Waffle Day is celebrated on the anniversary of the patent.
What is the hashtag? Use #NationalWaffleDay when posting to social media.
How to celebrate:
- Host breakfast for dinner, complete with savory and sweet waffle batter options.
- Go out to your favorite waffle place for breakfast.
- Treat yourself to delicious chicken and waffles for dinner.
What other national days are there for breakfast?
- March 7- National Cereal Day
- June 3- National Egg Day
- September 26- National Pancake Day
- December 30- National Bacon Day
There are many other national days relating to breakfast. In fact, National Day Archives has a separate category just for food!