On what day is National French Fry Day celebrated? July 13
What is National French Fry Day? French fries, also known as chips in the UK, are deep fried potato pieces found at most fast food, sandwich and burger restaurants. Sometimes, fries are made from sweet potatoes as a healthier alternative. Condiments such as ketchup, ranch dressing, vinegar, mayonnaise, honey mustard, cheese and many others are used to enhance fries.
Here are some fun facts about french fries:
- French fries actually originated in Belgium. According to some historians, potatoes were being fried by 1680 in the Meuse Valley of Belgium. Locals often ate small fried fish, but when the river was frozen they used potatoes as a substitute.
- It is believed by some that the term “French” was introduced to the potatoes when the American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I and consequently tasted Belgian fries. It is suggested that they called them “French” as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.
- French fries were introduced in the US when Thomas Jefferson was President in 1801.
- Americans eat more than 16 pounds of French fries every year.
- McDonald’s uses about 7% of the potatoes grown in the United States for its French fries. They sell more than 1/3 of all the French fries sold in restaurants in the U.S. each year.
- To burn off the calories in a medium order of McDonald’s French fries, you would need to do: 58 minutes of cycling, 90 minutes of bowling or 47 minutes of high impact aerobics.
- There is a French fry museum in Belgium.
- 37% of all women who eat French fries prefer to have their fries look perfect. Men are less picky with only 25% of men going for perfect looking fries.
Who founded this day? The creator of National French Fry Day is unknown.
What is the hashtag? Use #NationalFrenchFryDay when posting to social media.
How to celebrate: Many fast food chains give out free or discounted fries in celebration of National French Fry Day. If you are feeling adventurous, make your own fries at home. Load them up with cheese, bacon, peppers or whatever your heart desires!
What other national days are there for fast food?
- May 15- National Chip Day
- May 28- National Burger Day
- July 26- National Chili Dog Day
- July 23- National Hot Dog Day
- September 18- National Cheeseburger Day
There are many other national days relating to fast food. In fact, National Day Archives has a separate category just for food!