When is World Religion Day?
World Religion Day occurs annually on the third Sunday in January.
What is World Religion Day?
Religion has been around since humans first shaded their eyes from the blazing sun. It’s had a rough history, often being used as a vehicle for war and hatred. But the purest forms of religion promote human dignity and flourishing, and World Religion Day is a day to celebrate your faith.
Hospitals and Universities grew out of religion. Many people all over the world find serenity and purpose in their faith. Religion provides many other benefits, like stability, community, and a philosophical structure for understanding the world.
The National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of the United States instituted World Religion Day in 1949, but this day has since taken on a life of its own.
Fun facts about World Religion Day!
- Some experts estimate that there are 4,200 religions in the world.
- About 75% of people around the world affiliate with the majority religion of their country.
- Christianity is the largest religion in the world, followed by Islam and then Hinduism.
- India, Mauritius, and Nepal are home to 97% of the world’s Hindus.
- There are 157 countries with a majority Christian population.
How to celebrate World Religion Day:
Celebrate your faith. Attend a religious service, and spend time with friends and family in prayer and gratitude for your faith.
What’s the hashtag for World Religion Day?
Use #WorldReligionDay on social media to celebrate your religion.