When is National Veterans BBQ Day? This day will take place on October 16 of each calendar year.
What is National Veterans BBQ Day? On this day, we will celebrate a local military veteran by either cooking them some BBQ or by taking them out for a BBQ meal.
Why is this day being celebrated or observed? All veterans in the service create a bond of brotherhood lost after they leave the military. This day is designed to allow veterans to know that they are not forgotten, they are appreciated, and to get together with other veterans and enjoy a steak, some bacon, some laughs, and a beer.
How should this day be celebrated or observed?
- Use#veteransbbq to engage with other and veterans talking about the event.
- Grab your camera, your apron, a veteran, and your beer. Share the photos on social media!
- Share your favorite recipes, stories, and deployment adventures with a fellow veteran.
- Create the Smoke & Bacon Veterans BBQ day Bacon Recipe to share with a veteran.
- One pound of bacon, preferably the thick-cut variety
- Wooden skewers soaked at least 4 hours before grilling
- Choose a sweet heat bbq sauce of your choice
- Separate bacon strips and place them into a large resealable container or baggie.
- Add the Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce of your choice.
- Seal and toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Turn the bacon over every few hours to get the marinade well-distributed.
- Thread the bacon onto the skewers.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Place the skewers onto the grill. Grill for 10 minutes, then flip and continue grilling another 5-10 minutes or until the bacon is done. NOTE: The bacon will not be crispy. Do not let it cook until it gets dark.
- If you are serving the bacon on skewers as meat snacks, let them cool before serving.
- If you are using the bacon on burgers or sandwiches, immediately remove the skewers’ bacon before cooling. Once the bacon cools, it will be challenging to remove the skewers.
Who created this day? This day was created in April 2021 by Smoke & Bacon Media LLC.