What day is National Love Your Red Hair Day celebrated? November 5, but there is also a National Redhead Day celebrated by the Dutch the first weekend in September.
What is National Love Your Red Hair Day or National Redhead Day? National Love your Red Hair Day is a day to celebrate redheads. You can celebrate this day if you are born a redhead, change the color of your hair to be red, or simply because you love a red head.
Fun facts about redheads according to one source:
- The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%) followed by Ireland (10%). Worldwide, only 2% of people have red hair.
- People with red hair are likely more sensitive to pain. This is because the gene mutation (MC1R) that causes red hair is on the same gene linked to pain receptors. It also means redheads usually need more anesthesia for dental and medical procedures.
- Having red hair isn’t the only thing that makes some redheads unique. They are also more likely to be left handed. Both characteristics come from recessive genes, which like to come in pairs.
- Redheads probably won’t go grey. That’s because the pigment just fades over time. So they will probably go blonde and even white, but not grey.
- Redheads most commonly have brown eyes. The least common eye color: blue.
- Bees have been proven to be more attracted to redheads.
- Being a redheaded man may have health benefits. A study published by the British Journal of Cancer suggested that men with red hair are 54% less likely to develop prostate cancer than their brown and blonde-haired counterparts.
- Redheads actually have less hair than most other people. On average they only have 90,000 strands of hair while blonds, for example, have 140,000. However, red hair is typically thicker so it still looks just as full.
Who created this day? National Love Your Red Hair Day in the U.S. was started by Adrienne & Stephanie Vendetti, co-founders of How to be a Redhead in August of 2015. They also released a brand “How to be a Redhead” and beauty book.
The Dutch also created Redhead Day in 2005 and have a festival first weekend of September in the city of Breda, in the Netherlands. The two-day festival is a gathering of people with natural red hair, but is also focused on art related to the color red.
How to celebrate: Celebrate red hair day by posting on social media pictures of your red hair or favorite red headed person.
What is the hashtag? The hashtags for National Love Your Red Hair Day is #LoveYourRedHairDay, and the hashtag for National Redhead Day is #nationalredhead. Other popular hashtags include: #redhead and #redheadlove.
What other national days are there for redheads? Although there are not many national days yet for color of hair, there are other national days relating to fashion.