When is this day celebrated? November 8
What is this day? Today we spread awareness about the fatal repercussions of loneliness. Research has shown that loneliness is connected to a number of health issues, including diabetes, heart disease and depression. It may play a role in substance abuse and can diminish overall quality of life. Some studies have even found that loneliness and social isolation may lead to an early death.
Feelings of loneliness are fatal!
- Loneliness, living alone and poor social connections are as bad for your health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. (Holt-Lunstad, 2010)
- Loneliness is worse for you than obesity. (Holt-Lunstad, 2010)
- Lonely people are more likely to suffer from dementia, heart disease and depression. (Valtorta et al, 2016) (James et al, 2011) (Cacioppo et al, 2006)
- Loneliness is likely to increase your risk of death by 29% (Holt-Lunstad, 2015)
- Studies have found loneliness affects younger Americans more than the elderly.
- Generation Z, or those between the ages of 18 and 22, were the loneliest generation, with a “loneliness score” of 48.3. Possible loneliness scores range from 20 to 80, with the national average a 44.
- Millennials (ages 23 to 37) were close behind with a score of 45.3, followed by Generation X (ages 38 to 51) with a loneliness score of 45.1 The so-called Greatest Generation, those age 72 or over, ranked as the least lonely, with a score of 38.6.
Who founded this day? This day was founded by Beneath the Skin, Inc. in 2019. Beneath The Skin is a Peer to Peer mentoring program for young women here to take a stand against loneliness and provide genuine human connection across the US!
How should this day be celebrated?
Social media content, reaching out to friends, meeting up in person for lunch, dinner, coffee, drinks with a friend or family member, introducing yourself to a stranger, giving back to a homeless person.