On what day is National Happy Hour Day celebrated? November 12
What is National Happy Hour Day? This day celebrates the fact that it’s five o’clock somewhere! Happy hour is a term primarily used by restaurants and bars in which any visiting customers, between a certain time slot, can purchase discounted drinks and food.
The term itself comes from the first World War, in which the United States Navy would host Happy Hour Social Events for the troops as a way to socialize. But instead of drinking, there was entertainment, such as live music, dancing and boxing matches. The term didn’t apply to cocktails until the 1920’s…during the prohibition.
Who founded this day? The creator of this day is unknown.
What is the hashtag? Use the hashtag #NationalHappyHourDay when sharing on social media.
How to celebrate: Here’s how you can celebrate this day (or hour):
- Grab a drink with friends at one of your favorite happy hour spots.
- Or, if you don’t drink, grab a happy hour appetizer or snack instead!
Rather stay in? No problem, here’s a cocktail recipe to make at home.
Happy Hour Sangrias
1-2 cups of chopped fruit (Any type you like!)
1 750 ml bottle of red wine
½ cup orange juice
½ cup brandy
¼ cup triple sec
3 tbsp of sugar
2 oranges, sliced
1 liter of Sprite
- Add wine, orange juice, brandy, triple sec and sugar to a large picture. Stir until all the sugar dissolves.
- Add chopped fruit and oranges to the mixture and store in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, add in Sprite.
There are many other national days on our website. Try browsing one of our categories, or even create your own!