When is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day?
November 15th is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day.
What is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day?
The leftover soup that leaked back in April, yeah, it’s still there in the fridge, just like the jelly that got wiped on the crisper. How does that happen? Who knows, but National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is the day to take care of it.
We all lose track of food in our fridge from time to time. National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day presents the opportunity to take care of the mold farms and petri dishes growing behind the milk jug, and just in time for Thanksgiving. And with old food cleared out, you’ll have more space to take a sponge and hot water to the refrigerator racks and walls. Your fridge will beam with gratitude.
Fun facts about National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day!
- General Electric produced the first household refrigerator in 1911.
- Full refrigerators are more efficient than refrigerators with fewer items in it.
- If you avoid putting hot or warm items in your fridge, it will work more efficiently.
- You can store food forever at −18 °C (0 °F) or cooler.
- Baking soda, crumpled newspaper, and charcoal briquettes all can remove funny smells from a refrigerator over time.
How to celebrate National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day:
- Clean out your fridge. Throw away any leftover food that looks questionable (or you can’t remember making), and check expiration dates on all packaged food.
- Perform some refrigerator maintenance. Vacuum the coils outside, and clean the vents inside. Wipe the fridge door gasket down with warm water to remove food residue. Research other fridge maintenance to prolong your refrigerator’s life.
What’s the hashtag for National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day?
Document your refrigerator cleansing project on social media by using #CleanOutYourRefrigeratorDay.