On what day is National Black Dog Day celebrated? October 1
What is National Black Dog Day? This day is about loving our best four legged friend with black fur. Did you know that black dogs are the least likely to be adopted? However, black dogs are just as lovable, loyal and cuddly as any other color of dog! In fact, here are some reasons to love black dogs:
- They have a stunning colored coat
- Their coat naturally looks and stays cleaner
- They’re a family dog
- They look dashing with accessories
- They have a beautiful face
- They’re great snuggle buddies
- They’ll love you unconditionally
Who founded this day? The day was created by author Colleen Paige, who is also the founder of National Puppy Day, National Mutt Day and National Cat Day.
What is the hashtag? Use the hashtag #NationalBlackDogDay when posting to social media.
How to celebrate: Here are a few ideas to celebrate these beautiful pooches:
- Adopt a black dog from a local shelter
- If you own a black dog, take them to the dog park or buy them their favorite treat
- Volunteer at a humane society
- Take plenty of pictures of your pup and show off his gorgeous, black coat on social media
What other national days are there for pets?
- March 23- National Puppy Day
- July 31- National Mutt Day
- Aug 26- National Dog Day
- Sep 9- National Hug Your Hound Day
There are many other national days relating to dogs. In fact, National Day Archives has a separate category just for dogs! (See links on top of the page)
If you have a black dog, then love on them double on this special day. If you have another dog, why not create a new national day for your breed or favorite type of dog?