When is this Day? September 27th of each calendar year.
What is National 911 Telecommunications Suicide Awareness Day? The purpose of National 911 Telecommunications Suicide Awareness Day is to shine a light on the tragedy, begin open discussions about mental health and continue to smash the stigma associated with seeking help.
Created by Gold H.E.L.P in 2021, we want to acknowledge the issue, support the families, and continue to raise awareness with an aim to end suicide.
We are setting aside this day every year to focus on it, offer solutions, and honor those we lost. Just one first responder lost to suicide is one too many. It is up to us to break the stigma and ensure that everyone knows that they are not alone.
Why is this day being created? Suicide continues to outpace line of duty deaths and we must recognize the emotional sacrifice made by first responders and their families. As a program of First H.E.L.P. (Honor, Educate, Lead, Prevent), Gold H.E.L.P. wants to ensure we focus on this issue on never forget that first responders should be honored by the service they gave to their communities, their families are supported in the aftermath and, we encourage others to seek help when needed.
How should this day be observed?
- Tell others about the day.
- Participate in awareness walks.
- Host an event (like an awareness walk).
- Let others know you will listen if they are feeling depressed or isolated.
- Remind first responders that they are important to our community.
- Learn the warning signs of suicide.
- Share on social media accounts.
- Read the latest articles on the progress that is being made.
- Wear a shirt or ribbon to show your support.
Who created this day? This day was created by First H.E.L.P., Inc. in 2021. 1sthelp.org