When is National Random Acts of Kindness Day?
February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day.
What is National Random Acts of Kindness Day?
Roll up your sleeves, and get creative. It’s National Random Acts of Kindness Day, the day to practice compassion, benevolence, and big-hearted generosity with no expectation of a return.
The principle is simple. People are more likely to be kind when they see other people doing nice things, especially if they are recipients of that kindness.
When we expect someone to be nice, their kind actions tap into our sense of fairness. One good deed deserves another, right? But when there is no prior justification for the help, it surprises us and shifts our expectation of what is fair, especially when there will be little opportunity to pay it back.
Unearned helpfulness is a good habit year ‘round, but National Random Acts of Kindness Day is an especially good day to practice.
Fun facts about National Random Acts of Kindness Day!
- Evidence is building that habitual kindness makes you healthier.
- Kindness boosts serotonin, which increases our sense of well-being and helps us feel satisfied.
- The emotional feel-goods associated with kindness produce oxytocin. The hormone triggers the release of nitric oxide. This chemical dilates blood vessels, which lowers blood pressure and protects the heart.
- A “helper’s high” often accompanies acts of compassion. Biochemically, that’s because kindness raises the levels of morphine-like chemicals that naturally occur in our brains. These natural opioids boost our dopamine, and—voila!—good feelings appear.
How to celebrate National Random Acts of Kindness Day:
- Compliment 5 people today.
- Write an encouraging message to 3 friends. Use social media or texts, or just take a hot minute to write some old fashioned letters.
- Write a LinkedIn recommendation for a coworker.
- Take five minutes to tell someone’s manager when they’ve done a great job at customer service.
- Write a list of your significant other’s qualities and habits that you love.
What’s the hashtag for National Random Acts of Kindness Day?
Promote kindness by using #RandomActsOfKindnessDay on social media.